- 2015 Session
- No comments
Senate Journal: February 6th, 2015
Day 12. It’s Friday and we are walking on sunshine…right out the capitol door.
Today on the hill: We’ve been hard at work. During floor time today, Bishop Brad Anderson from the Maeser 4th Ward gave our opening prayer. We also had the pleasure to have Trevor Mears from Scout Troop 1251 of Eagle Mountain lead us in the pledge. Today was National Wear Red Day (which felt a little Taylor Swift-y) for the American Heart Association which is celebrating 90 years! Wearing red stands as awareness to cardiovascular diseases. Senator Shiozawa welcomed onto the floor the Utah Board of Directors for the Association, as well as local doctors and volunteers. Congressman Chaffetz spoke to us about online gaming, prison relocation, state resolution bail out, and the gas tax.
If you watched our our media briefing today, then you’ll probably understand this reference. If not, you may want to go back and watch it.
— Utah Senate (@utahsenate) February 6, 2015
In the briefing, we heard from Senator Shiozawa, in regards to his bill SB164, the expansion of Medicaid. Senator Davis also contributed to that discussion. The joint caucus meeting, and Count My Vote by Senator Jenkins (by the way, did you know we have an elevator pitch for that?) were discussion points as well.
Links we Like:
– On Wednesday, one of our committees backed the repeal of law blocking the state Department of Environmental Quality from allowing environmental regulations that are more strict than federal rules. Senator Davis talked about how this could be the solution to environmental problems along the Wasatch Front.
– Senator Adams is sponsoring legislation that would allow justices of the peace to be impeached for high crimes, misdemeanors or malfeasance in office. SB79 cleared the Senate Government Operations and Political Subdivisions Committee Wednesday in a 4-0 vote.
– Sen. Allen Christensen is sponsoring SB12, a bill would require all Utah child care providers, including church groups and some charter schools, to perform or submit background checks to the state or reveal their status to customers. More to come on this soon.
– It seems as though the proposed gas tax has been discussed at lengths around here. Senator Van Tassell has proposed raising the tax by 10 cents a gallon. He introduced today SB160, which would also raise taxes on diesel fuel by 5 cents a gallon.
– With the second week of this Legislative Session in the wraps, here’s a recap of this weeks’ events. Thanks Brian.
– This article also gives a briefing of what is happening up on the hill. In specific, it mentions Senator Vickers’ bill SJR7, which “urges Congress to convey authority to Utah to manage wild horses and burros and directs the establishment of programs should that occur.”
– Today, Senator Shiozawa’s Medicaid Reform bill was numbered and made public. Practice with us: “SB164”. During our media access time today, he intro’d the bill. Here’s a 4-ish minute clip on it.